Task 6: Activity 4 Part 2:
- Go back to your post in Activity 4 Part 1 and think about the following questions:
- How would you describe your teaching perspectives prior to your reading of the module resources? How would you compare your prior conceptions about learning and teaching to the ideas discussed in the resources of this module? What factors influenced your conceptions about teaching and learning?
This is what I wrote in Activity 4 Part 1.
I think the teaching is the life formation process. Therefore teaching should include delivering the knowledge effectively and as well as modeling morality, citizenship and social behavior.
Learning happens when the learner is motivated into what they are learning. Therefore, a teacher should design a lesson according to learner’s needs and learning style.
This module explains about the concept of learning as a process of active engagement, a social phenomenon and different resources. Also the other article explains about SEL(Socio-emotional competencies) which is the process of developing student’s social –emotional competencies. SEL is the knowledge, skills, attitudes and behaviors that individuals need to make successful choices. In this module, SEL explanation was impressive to take a consideration into my learning.
- Have your perspectives’ changed after studying the module resources? How or how not?
I think my perspective has been deepened through this SEL article. I knew what it means but I don’t think I really apply into my job yet.
- How willing or open are you in challenging your prior conceptions about teaching and learning, and applying contemporary teaching perspectives and approaches that would better serve the need of the students for more holistic and active learning?
I am quite open to this approach though I do not know the practical steps or application at the moment.
- Which among the contemporary teaching perspectives and approaches discussed in this module resonates with you? Why?
SEL grabbed my attention because currently I am a primary school teacher. Troubled students in my class have mostly low self-esteem and need special attention or care from teachers. Also average students’ learning ability will be influenced by those factors, I think.
- Knowing your inclination for specific teaching perspectives, how can you ensure that you will not fall into the trap of a one-size-fits-all teaching and that you will observe the teaching principles as intellectual and varied work – “adopting appropriate teaching roles to support learning goals” (Eberly Center, 2015)?
I mentioned that learning happens when the learner is motivated into what they are learning. Therefore, a teacher should design a lesson according to learner’s needs and learning style. Although in practice, it is not easy to meet the needs of the students. However, differentiation is the answer for all learner differences as resources which we learnt in this module
eJournal Module 4 :Teaching Perspectives and Approaches
I always write my education philosophy that I work for students to become self-directed, life-long, collaborative learners. This module enhanced my concept and philosophy in deeper way. I always believed each learner has different needs and learning style. Also teachers should assist students’ emotional states for learning. In this module said SEL is important because it increases students’ capacity to learn and it prepares to meet college and career readiness standards. This module introduces 3 components o learning ecology; engagement, safety and environment.
First, building the engagement between teachers and students, among students, among teachers, and between teachers and administration is important. Actually engagement is almost all of the teaching process because mostly teachers are disengaged from students although they try hard.
Second, securing safety is important. Students should be safe from bullying, violence so that they feel emotionally and academically safe to take risks in the classroom. If these are not secured, learners will not have enough capacity to learn further than their limit.
Third, the school should be well managed that students can have autonomy, competence, and connectedness.
As a primary school teacher, I think I tried to make this learning ecology as much as possible. I realized my problem or my school discipline policy about carrying on this practice. Actually I followed protocol every time I met the trouble. But simple things should be fixed. I found the tip that I should give reasonable action to misbehavior. Normally, school takes away play time whenever they see misbehavior. But mostly misbehaved students get never be fixed. Either they get more rebellious or they get troublesome more often that they cannot focus on their learning. Rather this module suggests that teachers should give right action to reasonable thinking. For example, if a student pushes over another child in the line, he or she should line up at the back for a week. Mostly in this case, a student loses his or her playtime which is not related to this matter. I learnt small tip from this module that I should give proper discipline in every matter.